Bike helmet mirrors are a hot topic on many specialized cycling forums.
Not convinced that you need one?
Read on to find out which are its benefits!
Know exactly why you want it?
Use the links below to jump to our best bike helmet mirror selection in 2020.
|Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror by EVT||$$$$$|
|Adjustable Helmet Mirror With Crystal Clear View by Life..||$$$|
|Race Icon Bike Helmet Mirror||$$|
|Cycleaware Reflex Bicycle Helmet Mirror||$$$$|
|PChero 360 Degree Adjustable Bike Helmet Mirror||$|
Bike helmet mirrors are one of the many bike mirror solutions available on the market. I admit they are my favorite for numerous reasons. However, they might not be the best for every cyclist. Some cyclists might not need a bike mirror at all.
Let’s see what types of bicycle mirrors there are and why the helmet mounted models are better than the others. Then, take a look at our best bike helmet mirror reviews to find the model you like best!
- 1 Types Of Bicycle Mirrors
- 2 Why Use A Bike Helmet Mirror
- 3 Best Bike Helmet Mirror Reviews
- 3.1 1. Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror by EVT
- 3.2 2. Adjustable Helmet Mirror With Crystal Clear View by Life On Bicycle
- 3.3 3. Race Icon Bike Helmet Mirror
- 3.4 4. Cycleaware Reflex Bicycle Helmet Mirror
- 3.5 5. PChero 360 Degree Adjustable Bike Helmet Mirror
- 4 Conclusion & Final Pick
Types Of Bicycle Mirrors
Bike mirrors are a great invention that comes in handy especially when you commute by bike. A rearview mirror will help you monitor the traffic with ease and understand what the other traffic participants do before changing direction or squeezing between two vehicles.
Manufacturers propose multiple types of bike mirrors that have essentially the same functions but mount differently either on the bike or on yourself.
Bike Handlebar Mirror
As their name suggests, this type of mirrors mounts directly on the handlebar of your bike. They function essentially as motorcycle mirrors and offer a great visual of whatever is happening behind you.
The main advantage of these mirrors is that you will not have to turn your head at all to see the rear traffic but they do have some disadvantages too.
The main disadvantage is that the vast majority of the models have complicated mounted systems that are hard to dismantle if you want to switch bikes. For this reason, you will probably have to buy a bike mirror for each bike you use.
Some manufacturers make handlebar mirrors that mount with Velcro. They are easy to mount and easy to take off, but they are also an easy prey for the thieves.
Another disadvantage is that a handlebar mirror will add a few inches to the width of the bike. You’ll not be able to cycle through tight spaces like you used to and the mirror might also easily break.
This bike mirror is one of the best innovations in the cycling world, yet many cyclists find it hard to use. The mirror mounts directly on the cyclist’s arm with a Velcro strap and its base rotates 360°, allowing the user to adjust the mirror to the desired position.
The main advantage of this type of mirror is that all the vibrations are usually eliminated. Moreover, this type of mirror can be used with success by those practicing mountain biking, if they feel like a mirror is needed.
Either you wear prescription glasses or protective cycling sunglasses, you should know that there are bike mirrors that mount directly on these accessories.
These mirrors attach to the bow or temple of the glasses with a three-point mounting system and are usually positioned at the same level of the eye or slightly above it.
The main advantage of this model is that the positioning of the mirror is the best while the vibrations are also considerably reduced.
The main drawback is that they are awkward to mount and most cyclists will find it difficult to get used to this accessory.
Bike Helmet Mirror
Lastly, my favorite type of rear view mirror to use on a bike is the helmet-mounted. These mirrors mount on the outer shell of the helmet either with a screw clamp or with a glue attachment. The ones with screw clamp are easy to move from a helmet to another and you’ll also be able to have the mirror with you regardless of what bike you use.
The main disadvantage of helmet mirrors is that they tend to distract the rider and they are also a quite delicate gear, as the long rod can easily break.
Nevertheless, among all the solutions, these mirrors are the easiest to mount and use, and they do offer quite accurate images of what’s happening behind you without requiring you to change the position of your head.
Why Use A Bike Helmet Mirror
Since there are so many different options, many cyclists wonder why a bike helmet mirror is better than the others. The truth is that it is all a matter of preferences.
Personally, I prefer bike helmet mirrors over all the other options because they present most advantages. Nevertheless, there are many other cyclists that might argue this opinion.
What I like about bike helmet mirrors is that they are easy to mount on the helmet, regardless of the mounting system. If you switch bikes, this option is great as you will always have the mirror available as long as you’re wearing the helmet.
The mirror itself is not affected too much by vibrations and it offers clear visuals of what is happening on the road.
Moreover, you will be able to cycle through tight spaces without worrying about damaging the gear. This is why a bike helmet mirror is a great solution, especially for commuters.
Best Bike Helmet Mirror Reviews
1. Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror by EVT
One of the most popular bike helmet mirrors on the market is the Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror by EVT. Defined by many users as outstanding, this mirror mounts to the helmet securely and provides crystal clear images thanks to the high-quality glass used in its manufacturing.What sets this bike helmet mirror apart from its competition is the extremely wide field of view. In fact, the mirror measures 2,25 inches and provides accurate images of whatever is happening behind you.Check Price on Amazon
The sturdy mounting system is also second to none. The mirror doesn’t have any weak components and it attaches to the helmet with a sturdy strap that snaps directly into the base.
Another great characteristic is the 2-year No-Fault warranty that comes standard with each purchase.
Things We Liked
- Fits almost all helmets: the Safe Zone mirror can be mounted on almost all types of helmets which is a great advantage compared with many other brands.
- Free supplies: in the unlikely case the Safe Zone mirror will not match your helmet, the manufacturer commits to provide all the supplies needed to make the mirror fit. All free of charge.
- Protective plastic film: the mirror is made of high-quality glass and it comes with a protective plastic film designed to keep the surface of the mirror scratch-free while shipping.
- Wide field of view: the mirror is really large and provides accurate images of the traffic behind you. Nothing will take you by surprise anymore but pay attention to get used to the mirror before cycling on a busy road.
Things We Didn’t Like
- There aren’t major drawbacks for this mirror, except for its price. Nonetheless, investing in high-quality gear is worthy especially when your safety is at stake.
2. Adjustable Helmet Mirror With Crystal Clear View by Life On Bicycle
A more affordable alternative to the bike helmet mirror described above is the Adjustable Helmet Mirror With Crystal Clear View by Life On Bicycle.This bike helmet mirror is designed to help you judge the distance of the vehicles behind you with a great accuracy and it boasts a 360° adjustment. The adjustment is designed to allow you to use the peripheral vision accurately and see everything behind you.Check Price on Amazon
The mounting shaft is long enough to place the mirror at a comfortable distance and exactly in front of your eyes. Moreover, the shaft is sturdy enough to stay steady even when riding on bumpy roads.
Another great feature is the easy-to-use mounting system that uses a Velcro attachment. One part of the Velcro can be attached anywhere on the helmet and the mirror simply sticks to it. The mirror stays in position as soon as it is locked, withstanding all types of vibration.
Things We Liked
- Interchangeable position: the mirror mounts on both the right and the left side with ease and you will be able to use it in all countries, regardless of the road rules.
- Lightweight: the mirror weighs only 12 grams, a negligible weight that will not be felt on the helmet. Although lightweight, the construction is sturdy and it resists all to all cycling challenges.
- Polymer and aluminum construction: this cycling mirror is surprisingly resistant and it is designed to resist vibrations and bumps.
- Lifetime replacement: the manufacturer offers a lifetime replacement of the mirror in case it gets broken or damaged. Moreover, you can also return the product and benefit of a money back guarantee in the first 90 days.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The mirror is supposed to fit all helmets, yet on a certain type of helmets, the Velcro strip doesn’t attach well, causing the mirror to fall off in no time.
3. Race Icon Bike Helmet Mirror
Another affordable and reliable bike helmet mirror to consider is the Race Icon Bike Helmet Mirror. Popular among commuters and perfect for many cycling disciplines, this mirror attaches to the helmet with two Velcro mounts and it has the ability to lock in the adjustment so it will not vibrate loose while riding.The mirror can be mounted literally anywhere on the helmet as long as the Velcro mounts are placed on a flat surface. The mounts need a flat spot with dimensions of 1,75 x 1 inches yet that spot can be on the inside of the helmet, on its surface or even inside a vent.Check Price on Amazon
Although lightweight, the mirror is built to last. The rod is made of strong polymer and aluminum that provide a perfect combination of strength and low weight.
Talking about the weight, the mirror weighs only 8 grams, which is the equivalent of 5 sheets of paper. It is useless to say that you won’t even feel it on the helmet.
Things We Liked
- Lock in adjustment: the mirror boasts a 360° adjustment and it is mounted on a ball hinge that makes it super easy to achieve the perfect angle of view. Once you achieved it, simply lock the mirror in position.
- Clear flat mirror: the mirror is made of flat glass which provides a more accurate image compared to the convex or concave mirrors. This will help you estimate distances more accurately.
- Money back guarantee: the manufacturer commits to returning you the money if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.
- Easy to mount: the Velcro pads should adhere to all helmets and work well on any flat surfaces. you can mount the mirror on the inner or outer shell according to your preferences.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The mirror provides crystal-clear images and an accurate field of view, but the Velcro pads just don’t adhere as they should to the helmet. Consider using a different type of glue to make them stay in place.
4. Cycleaware Reflex Bicycle Helmet Mirror
A bike helmet mirror I really like because of its unique features is the Cycleaware Reflex Bicycle Helmet Mirror. What is different about this mirror is its full flexibility guaranteed by the “Gumby”-like Kraton covered wire.The mirror itself has a large, oval shape, ideal to achieve and guarantee a wide field of view. Moreover, the vertical aspect increases the depth of the field considerably allowing you to have a more accurate rear view compared with similar products.Check Price on Amazon
The mirror mounts to all types of helmets and it has a really low weight that is virtually unnoticeable to the wearer.
Although the base adheres permanently to the helmet, the mirror detaches easily. This feature is important for when you want to store the helmet in a backpack or in the wardrobe.
Things We Liked
- Fully adjustable: thanks to the innovative construction, this bike helmet mirror is fully adjustable and really flexible. No matter what your preferences are, this mirror will most likely meet them.
- Oval-shaped: the large oval-shaped mirror offers a wider and deeper field of view compared with many similar models. A true advantage in terms of safety.
- Easy to mount: the mirror has a compact, round base that adheres permanently to any helmet. The flat surface required for a secured mount is minimal.
- Detachable mirror: the mirror can be removed from the base whenever necessary. This is convenient above all when you have to store the helmet as you will be able to store the mirror separately.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The permanent mount will most likely leave a sign on the helmet. This might not seem inconvenient at first but it is if you want to change the mirror with an item from another brand.
5. PChero 360 Degree Adjustable Bike Helmet Mirror
Lastly, a great bike helmet mirror to consider if you’re on a really tight budget is the PChero 360 Degree Adjustable Bike Helmet Mirror.This helmet mirror might be inexpensive but it is made of quality materials. The mirror boasts a stainless steel rod while the mirror itself is made of electroplating ABS. The construction of the lens is flat, allowing you to acquire a wide and clear field of view.Check Price on Amazon
The mirror fits helmets of all sizes and it securely attaches to the inside of the helmet through a Velcro mount.
The mirror is fully adjustable at 360ᵒ and it works well either on the left or on the right side of the helmet. thanks to all these features, you will be able to enjoy the safest rides.
Things We Liked
- 360ᵒ adjustability: the mirror is really versatile thanks to this feature and you will be able to use it in different countries without hassle.
- Lightweight: boasting a super-lightweight construction, the mirror will have no influence on the weight of the helmet, guaranteeing your comfort.
- Sturdy: the mirror is made of ABS while the rod is made of stainless steel, ensuring a greater durability of the gear.
- Great price: the mirror represents an alternative to the other more expensive options.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The ABS of which the mirror is made is less resistant compared to the glass. This means that it might be scratched easier and the image provided is less accurate compared to glass mirrors.
Conclusion & Final Pick
A bike helmet mirror is an essential gear for commuters and urban cyclists. Although there are alternatives, helmet mirrors are easier to use and more reliable compared to the other options.
Probably the best bike helmet mirror available on the market is the Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror by EVT. Although expensive, this mirror stands in front of its competitors thanks to the incredibly clear images and the really wide field of view.
The mirror is also sturdy and boasts a really secure mount system that is second to none. It is true that you will have to spend a small fortune to have it, but in my opinion, safety will pay off!