You love cycling. So does your better half. Yet, since you’re parents cycling has lost its importance. But why give up to your favorite sport when there are solutions to enjoy healthy and fun family rides? A bicycle trailer can comfortably accommodate your toddler and some models can even hold two kids at a time.
If you’re too curious to check out which are the best models on the market, click on the links in the table below. Or just keep reading if you want to learn more about them.
|InStep Take 2 Double Bicycle Trailer||$$$|
|InStep Sync Single Bicycle Trailer||$$|
|WeeRide Co-Pilot Bike Trailer||$|
|InStep Quick N EZ Double Bicycle Trailer||$$$$|
|Aosom Elite II 3in1 Double Child Bike Trailer||$$$$$|
When it comes to bicycle trailers for kids, the options are many. There are different models designed either to accommodate young children or to teach your offspring how to ride. The common thing is that all trailers attach to your bike.
Because of the diversity of the models, there are many things to consider when choosing the right bicycle trailer for your family rides. Read on to see which types there are and what to consider before buying.
Types Of Bicycle Trailers For Kids
On the market, there are two types of bicycle trailers for kids. One type is designed to carry the kids, the other to teach the kid how to cycle. Let’s have an in-depth look at each category.
Carrier Bicycle Trailer
A carrier bicycle trailer is designed to safely accommodate toddlers and young children during family rides. Their design is similar to a sidecar and they attach to the bike’s rear axle or frame, and on the market, there are dozens of models with various features and characteristics.
Many bicycle trailers are designed to carry two kids while others can only accommodate one. Others can be conveniently converted into a stroller or jogger. Regarding weight capacity, single trailers have capacities up to 85lbs while double models go up to 125lbs.
The age range recommended for these trailers is from 1 to 6 years old, although older kids can also ride in a trailer as long as the weight capacity is not exceeded.
Carrier bicycle trailers are versatile and can hold much more than your child. They are suitable to carry your pet or cargo, your luggage, and more.
Child Trailer Cycles
Child trailer-cycles are usually recommended for kids between 3 and 10 years old. A trailer cycle is a one-wheel extension of an adult bike and attached to the seat post. Most models available on the market are equipped with pedals and their own handlebar.
The child sits in a traditional bike seat and can pedal at his own pace. Your child pedaling won’t affect your rhythm but will teach the kid how to sit on a saddle and how to hold the handlebar. Sadly, these trailers won’t teach the child how to steer or maintain the balance.
Regardless of this, trailer cycles are often more appealing to older kids than the traditional trailers. On the other hand, you can go on safe family trips knowing that your child sits right behind you.
How To Choose A Bicycle Trailer
It’s easy to imagine that the first thing to decide is the type of bicycle trailer you need. Make the decision based on the kid’s age, as children above 6 rarely want to ride in a traditional trailer. Once you know what type of trailer you want, consider the things below.
How To Choose A Traditional Bicycle Trailer
Bicycle trailers are designed for kids from a young age. To make sure your toddler is safe, you should make sure the bicycle trailer has suitable safety features. The first thing to check is how the trailer attaches to the bike. Make sure the connection is sturdy and won’t come loose while cycling.
The trailer’s wheels should be large, fitted with rubber tires and suspensions. This will ensure smooth rides for your child.
Other safety features to look for are a safety harness (five or three-point, based on the kid’s age), side and rear reflectors, and ideally a red rear light designed to make the trailer visible in low light conditions.
It might seem obvious to you, as a parent, to invest in a trailer with padded seat. But only a few trailers actually have one. Although the lack of padding won’t make the trailer less safe, it will make it less comfortable for your child.
Toddlers often refuse to ride in a comfortless vehicle, whether it is a stroller, a car seat, or a bicycle trailer. So, make sure the seat is padded or that you can purchase a padded cover that is compatible with the seat.
If you want to combine usefulness and versatility, skip the toddler stroller and invest in a convertible bicycle trailer. There are many models to choose from. Some of them convert into a stroller, others into a jogger. Regardless of your choice, this option will save you money while enhancing the fun.
If you have two young kids, consider investing in a double trailer. A double trailer is also a solution if you want to take trips with both your child and your pet.
How To Choose A Trailer Cycle
Safety is the most important thing to consider in the case of a trailer cycle. Besides the technical features, such as the way it attaches to the adult bike, you should consider how safe it is for the child.
Trailer cycles are suitable for kids between 3 and 10 years, but a 3-year old might be more distracted while cycling and more prone to falling. For young kids, it is recommended to invest in a trailer cycle with a wide seat. Even better if the seat has a backrest.
Make sure the trailer cycle has a handlebar. This will help the child maintain his balance in the saddle.
Last but not least, make sure the trailer cycle has reflectors on the wheel and on the saddle. If possible, install a rear bike light under the trailer’s seat post, to make your child visible in traffic.
Trailer cycles come with or without handlebars. We recommend choosing a model with handlebars, as it is considered safer for a child. However, the choice is personal and you can decide upon a model based on your needs.
Trailer cycles attach either to the seat post of an adult bike or to a special rack installed above the rear wheel of an adult bike. However, since they come with standard mounting systems, it’s essential to check their compatibility with your bike.
Some models are designed to fit specific sizes, such as 26-inches bikes. Others are compatible with bikes between 24 and 32 inches. A trailer cycle that isn’t compatible with your bike might not mount safely, therefore we don’t recommend it for your kid.
Best Bicycle Trailer For Your Family Rides
1. InStep Take 2 Double Bicycle Trailer
The versatile InStep Take 2 Double Bicycle Trailer is a comfortable two-seater designed to accommodate the most demanding little passengers. The trailer provides cozy rides to toddlers and young kids and is perfect for siblings or twins.This bicycle trailer comes with a comfortable padded seat which provides comfort and support to the passengers. The kids can be secured in their seat with safety harnesses and a large 2-in-1 canopy and bug shield provides shadow and privacy to your little ones.Check Price on Amazon
To ensure a comfortable ride, the trailer has two 16-inch pneumatic air tires with molded rims. This means that you can ride on any type of surface without worrying about your baby’s comfort.
Regarding convenience, this trailer is collapsible for easy storage and transport. It occupies a little space when folded, while its assembled dimensions are still compact enough to be comfortable to trail. The only downside is that the trailer doesn’t convert into a stroller.
Things We Liked
- Two-seater: designed to accommodate two children, this bicycle trailer is safe and comfortable; a great choice for most families.
- Canopy: the trailer comes with a 2-in-1 canopy and bug shield that protects the passengers from weather elements and not only.
- Tires: the 16-inch pneumatic air tires provide smooth rides to the passengers regardless of the terrain you ride on.
- Coupler: the trailer attaches to the bike with a universal coupler that is compatible with most adult bike models.
Things We Didn’t Like
- This bicycle trailer doesn’t convert into a stroller.
2. InStep Sync Single Bicycle Trailer
If you don’t really need a two-seater but just a comfortable and safe ride for one child, the InStep Sync Single Bicycle Trailer might be the right bicycle trailer for you. This trailer maintains most of the features described in the previous model but comes with convertible versatility.The trailer is compatible with most types of bikes and it boasts 16-inch pneumatic tires with molded rims. The sturdy wheels provide performance and style for the ride, delivering smooth rides to the passenger on all types of terrains.Check Price on Amazon
The trailer also has a 2-in-1 canopy and bug shield that keeps the child protect from weather and environmental elements.
But the greatest feature of this bicycle trailer is the fact that it converts into a convenient stroller. You’ll be able to carry the kid comfortably in places where you can’t ride the bike, while the frame is also foldable, allowing you to transport and store the carrier conveniently.
Things We Liked
- Seat: this bicycle trailer comes with a comfortable padded seat and a sturdy safety harness designed to keep the child safe throughout the ride.
- Folding frame: storing and transporting the trailer is easy. The model is collapsible and the quick-release wheel is easy to put on and take off.
- Stroller kit: the trailer is compatible with a stroller kit sold separately. This allows you to convert it into a convenient toddler stroller.
- Canopy: whether it is intense sun or light rain, the canopy will protect your baby from weather elements.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The trailer isn’t compatible with bikes larger than 26 inches.
3. WeeRide Co-Pilot Bike Trailer
Sooner or later, kids will start feeling awkward in a bicycle trailer. When this happens, it’s a clear signal to invest in a trailer cycle. A model to consider is the WeeRide Co-Pilot Bike Trailer. Compatible with almost all adult bikes, this trailer cycle is designed to help you enjoy safe and fun family rides.The sturdy trailer cycle is ideal for teaching your kid how to ride a bike and it attaches quickly and easily to the seat post of an adult bike. Recommended for kids older than four and younger than 10, this trailer cycle holds up to 75 pounds and it weighs only 24 pounds.Check Price on Amazon
The trailer acts like a regular bike and it comes with an adjustable seat, a handlebar, and working pedals. These features will help the kid get used to riding. In fact, the child can pedal and help you or just coast and enjoy the scenery.
Regarding the safety features, the trailer cycle comes with safety flag that alerts the motorists. Reflectors are easy to install on the wheel and there are compatible rear lights to mount on the seat post.
Things We Liked
- Compatibility: this trailer cycle is compatible with almost all adult bikes and is constructed just like a regular 20-inch bike.
- Weight capacity: the trailer has a weight capacity of 75lbs and is suitable for kids between 4 and 9 years old.
- Safety: this trailer cycle comes with a safety flag that alerts the motorists there is a kid on the road. Moreover, it is easy to mount reflectors and rear lights on the trailer.
- Weight: the trailer is lightweight and won’t have a major impact on your cycling style. The total weight of the trailer is 24lbs.
Things We Didn’t Like
- This trailer cycle doesn’t have the best balance.
4. InStep Quick N EZ Double Bicycle Trailer
Looking for the right bicycle trailer for your expanding family? The InStep Quick N EZ Double Bicycle Trailer might be the answer to your needs. This trailer accommodates comfortably two kids, it comes with additional storage space and is collapsible.Talking about convenience, this bicycle trailer has an 80lbs weight limit and it accommodates two kids younger than 6 years old. The universal coupler attaches the trailer to almost all adult bikes, and it even converts to a convenient stroller.Check Price on Amazon
The trailer’s frame is sturdy yet lightweight, while the 16-inch pneumatic tires with molded rims provide performance and style. The seat is padded and provided with safety harnesses, limiting accidents and reducing risks.
Furthermore, the simple design folds compactly for storage and transportation. When in use, the trailer also boasts a large storage space that can hold up to 12lbs of gear.
Things We Liked
- Colors: this trailer is available in multiple colors to match with your bike or with the preference of your kids.
- Two-seater: this bicycle trailer has a two-seat capacity and a total weight capacity of 80lbs. Nevertheless, it only weighs 33lbs.
- Safety flag: the trailer comes with a safety flag that draws attention and let motorists know you’re riding with your kids.
- Convertible: the trailer converts into a stroller easily. The jogger stroller comes with a quick-release swiveling front wheel.
Things We Didn’t Like
- This bicycle trailer is rather expensive.
5. Aosom Elite II 3in1 Double Child Bike Trailer
Aosom Elite II 3in1 Double Child Bike Trailer is another bicycle trailer that impressed us. This double trailer converts into a double stroller or jogger, combining its utility with the needs of an active family. The trailer is great for siblings of close ages or for twins.The bicycle trailer features a locking swivel front wheel and a full suspension system that delivers smooth and comfortable rides to your kids. Moreover, the large wheels and the sturdy system make it possible to use the stroller on all types of terrains.Check Price on Amazon
The trailer boasts a sturdy yet lightweight frame made of steel. The seat is padded and equipped with safety harnesses, while the rear wheels are equipped with reflectors.
The trailer has a maximum weight limit of 88lbs and is easy to assemble and mount. The setup requires no tools and attaching it to the bike is a breeze.
Things We Liked
- Convenient: this bicycle trailer converts into a stroller or jogger. It is suitable for active families and is designed to accommodate two kids.
- Weight capacity: with an 88lbs weight capacity, the trailer is suitable for two kids under 6 years old.
- Locking wheel: the swiveling front wheel is easy to lock for jogging and it can be removed completely when the system is used as a trailer.
- Colors: the trailer is available in multiple bright colors. You can choose the favorite color to match with your bike or let the kids choose the color they like best.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although padded, the seat isn’t the most comfortable and the system is not suitable to use as the sole stroller.
Conclusion & Final Pick
In our opinion, the InStep Sync Single Bicycle Trailer is the best on the market. It can accommodate two kids at a time, it has a comfy padded seat equipped with a safety harness, and sturdy pneumatic wheels designed to provide smooth rides.
The trailer converts to a stroller easily and the conversion kit is available separately. Boasting a large canopy, the trailer can also protect your kids from weather and environmental elements.
The only downside is its compatibility, but other than this, it is certainly an awesome bicycle trailer to consider for your family rides.